Street Smart is a program through Visions and Pathways’ Outreach and Prevention Department. Other Outreach and Prevention programs include; Prosperity independent living skills, mentoring, Transitions after-care for youth who have aged out of foster care, Bridge House supportive housing and Village House rental assistance. Street Smart helps. The program serves youth throughout Central and Northern New Jersey.
WHO WE ARE
Our bilingual counselors canvas popular teen hangouts, such as fast-food restaurants, malls, convenience stores and parks. They also work with local schools, churches and police departments to identify teens who may be living on the streets.
STREET SMART reaches out to youth throughout central and northern New Jersey. The program identifies vulnerable youth, meets their basic needs, and connects them with partner resources.
Teams of outreach counselors offer assistance and services 24-hours a day and are also available in emergency situations.
Street Smart is a program of Visions and Pathways. Using a culturally responsive, community-focused and trauma informed approach, Visions and Pathways has helped youth who are experiencing a crisis and their families for more that forty years.
WHO WE SERVE
STREET SMART provides services to:
- Youth and young adults ages 13 through 21 who are; experiencing a crisis at-home or at school, at-risk of becoming homeless, living in an unsafe environment, homeless, have been or are at high-risk of being sexually abused or exploited.
- Youth who have been or are at risk of being sexually abused or exploited.
- Youth who have been or are at risk of being labor exploited.
WHAT WE DO
According to the Centers for Disease Control, there are 1,118 people living with HIV/AIDS in New Jersey between the ages of 13 and 24.* This is one of the highest rates in the country of persons living with new HIV infections.
STREET SMART counselors provide:
- Food, clothing, and blankets
- Access to shelter
- Crisis intervention counseling
- Transportation to services
- Referrals to health care and social service agencies
- HIV/AIDS and safe sex information
- Crisis information
- Help obtaining vital documents
- Substance abuse education and information
- Help finding jobs and housing
- Street Smart outreach counselors are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Several outreach counselors are Spanish speakers.
STREET SMART partners with New Jersey AIDS Services to offer HIV/AIDS/STD trainings for at-risk youth. The goal is to educate youth on prevention methods to reduce the risk of youth HIV/AIDS cases in New Jersey. For more information, call 973.644.4666 or contact us.
STREET SMART is funded by the following companies and organizations who help make the work we do for vulnerable youth possible.